Informed decisions about your child’s communication and educational options will help you give them the best possible start in life.
To make fully-informed decisions, you need to:
- Gather information about your child’s hearing loss and deafness in general
- Contact your local visiting teacher for advice after a diagnosis
- Ask yourself, what do I really want for my child?
- Think about what communication options will suit your child best
- Arrange to meet a few deaf adults for an informal chat
- Talk to the parents of other deaf children: what are their experiences?
- Find out exactly what support services are available in your area
- Ask if the local pre-school / primary school has taught deaf pupils before
Take your time at this stage, and only go with decisions you’re happy with.
You know your child better than anyone else, after all!
Why not check our Facebook page, if a topic you’d like to see isn’t here?
Read some parent testimonials we’ve received >>