If your question isn’t listed here, try a website search or check our Facebook board. A simple FB post will link you with other parents and/or teachers.
Top Question: Is my child deaf? Possible indicators to watch for.
1) Who can I contact for information on deafness & hearing loss in Ireland?
2) How can I contact deaf groups in Ireland?
3) How do I choose the best communication option for my child?
4) Where can my child and/or family arrange sign-language tuition?
5) What toys and games are best for deaf children?
6) What hearing assistance entitlements do deaf children in Ireland have?
7) What educational supports are offered to deaf children in Ireland?
8) What study & career options do deaf school-leavers have?
9) How do I explain deafness to my child, or other children?
10) How are digital photos used to teach new words and concepts?
11) What’s it really like to be deaf?
12) How do I teach my child new words and language?
13) Can computers and software help to teach deaf children?
14) How can my child learn to listen and talk?
15) How do I find a job as a special-needs assistant (SNA), work as a teacher of the deaf or find jobs with deaf children? Visit educationposts.ie!
16) What is the difference between ISL and Lamh?
17) Where can I find a website about teaching deaf students at college?
18) Is there any advice about adapting teaching style for deaf students?
19) A deaf child will be in my class next year. Where do I find supports?
20) How do I teach my child ‘pretend’ and ‘real’?
21) How do I teach my hearing pupils about deafness?
22) What projects develop childrens’ signed, spoken & written languages?
23) How can I improve my visual teaching at primary level?
24) What books are good for language teaching?
25) I’m teaching a child who hears on one side only. What can I do in class?
26) Can a deaf child participate at creche?
27) What Junior & Leaving Cert exam supports do deaf students get?
28) Teacher Question: What ISL software is available?
29) Parent Question: Is home tuition in Irish funded?
30) Teacher Question: Sourcing a soundfield system
31) Parent Question: What is Auditory Neuropathy (AN)?
32) IDK’s back to school reference list
32) Is a personal FM or a soundfield better for a child at creche/school?
33) Can deaf pupils study European languages in school?
34) Is remote-language teaching possible for deaf children?
35) Do iPads, iPhones and e-readers benefit deaf childrens’ literacy?
36) Does dual-campus mainstream schooling work?
37) How does language-practice with deaf children work?
38) Can you advise on back-packing with hearing-aids?
39) How are creche staff taught to manage a child’s hearing-devices?
40) What are your views on newborn hearing-screening?
41) Have you any tips on deaf-awareness for businesses?
42) How does live captioning benefit a deaf person?
43) Do you have information on the Salamanca Statement?
44) How do I best advocate for my child’s service provision?
45) How does e-learning benefit students who’re deaf?
Top Question: Is my child deaf? Possible indications to watch for
What other questions would YOU like answered?
Tell us at firstname.lastname@example.org!
If a topic you’d like to see isn’t here, why not check our Facebook board?
Please send all feedback to email@example.com .