Speech & Lip-reading
This depends on your child’s hearing ability and type, age when deafness occurred, their age of diagnosis and any other needs they have.
Children who receive a cochlear implant at a very young age may need less speech work than others, as they grow up with better sound quality.
Hearing aids will benefit others who have more residual hearing.
For parents, the advantage of speech classes is that their own language can be used at home, if they’re prepared to do speech ‘homework’.
This can be fun, too. Once your child can read, you can make words:
* with magnetic letters on the fridge
* from alphabet spaghetti
* with honey on Ready Brek or similar breakfast cereal
* on a black / white board in the kitchen
* any other way you like – use your imagination!
Ideally, your speech therapist will develop your child’s pronounciation and articulation in classes, while you reinforce the principles at home.
Finding A Therapist
Ireland’s two speech and language therapist associations are
* Beaumont Hospital’s cochlear implant team has two speech therapists.
Why not check our Facebook page, if a topic you’d like to see isn’t here?