By admin | August 6, 2009
Irish Deaf Kids has teamed with Irish publishing house Special Stories, to release an exciting new children’s book, “A Birthday for Ben”, which is about young children who are deaf or hard of hearing.
- Newsflash: ITV Animates “A Birthday For Ben”
- “A Birthday For Ben” Features In The Sunday Business Post
- Special Stories Wins A Silver In Moonbeam Awards
- IDK and Special Stories on TV3 (February, 2010)
- ITV Launches A Story-Book App (October 2012)
The book is beautifully illustrated by Karen Quirke, a Dublin-born talented deaf artist, and sensitively written by Kate Gaynor, a Dublin author who writes children’s books that deal with difficult topics in a child-centred way. “A Birthday for Ben” is one of four books in the second series of books published by Special Stories, and is the first book of its kind to be produced and published for the Irish market.
As Caroline Carswell, the founder of Irish Deaf Kids, points out: “ ‘A Birthday for Ben’ is a very welcome resource for parents and teachers as it introduces the whole concept of hearing and deafness to young children. By making the book available to primary schools throughout Ireland, IDK and Special Stories hope to highlight the everyday issues that deaf children may encounter on a daily basis in mainstream schools”.
“A Birthday for Ben” can be bought directly from IDK by:
- Writing to IDK at Terenure Enterprise Centre, 17 Rathfarnham Road, Dublin 6W, with your name, address, number of book/s required and a cheque or postal order. Please include EUR 1.00 per book for postage.
- Emailing email@example.com with your name, postal address, number of book/s required and postage total. Orders will not be sent until payment is received, by cheque or PayPal (see below).
PayPal Payment Option:
If paying with PayPal, please send an email payment to firstname.lastname@example.org from the PayPal website, and we will confirm this payment before sending your order. Please include EUR 1.00 per book for postage on all orders.
Parents can also donate a copy of the book to their child’s school at a 20% discount. To avail of this special offer, they just need to send the name and address of the school to Special Stories Publishing, who will send the book along with a note to say who it was donated by.